Ga naar inhoud
Vespaforum.be

Altes Elefantentreffen am Nürburgring 22-24/02/08

max

Aanbevolen berichten

Voor de gasten die gaan :

Studding Motorcycle tires

Written by Chppdlvvr 17 feb 2003

Studding motorcycle tires is a BAD IDEA. Do not install studded tires on a motorcycle unless you are prepared to crash. Prepare or update your last will and testament and tape or otherwise securely fasten a waterproof copy of your emergency contact information to your bike AND your helmet before rolling an inch on studded tires. This is no joke.

Tire Selection

The most important part of this process is the tire. The knobbier a tire is, the better it will do in fresh snow and slush. On the other hand, dirt specific tires have less of a contact patch and will not stop as well as a more street oriented tire on dry pavement and will also have less traction than a tire with more studs and surface area on compact snow. I decided to go with a 90/10 Kenda Trakmaster II DOT knobby. Mainly I got those tires because they were cheap and they were one of the few sets of matched knobbies I could buy. I also tried a 50/50 tire, but the casing was too hard to accept the stud. Some tires just won’t take studs.

Mileage

In nearly 1000 miles, my tires show minimal rolling wear and the edges of the front tire are slightly rounded on one side from braking. This is due to the metal spikes sticking out of the tire- they relieve the individual knobs of a significant amount of pressure but also decrease the size of your contact patch and reduce traction on bare pavement. Keep in mind that reduced contact patch = extended braking distances and less overall traction, especially when cornering.

Studs

The studs I used for my tires are 13mm automobile studs. They are inserted using a stud gun attached to an air compressor. This is expensive equipment and I was able to get my tires done at the local tire shop instead for $10/tire. You may have to search for a tire shop willing to work with you. This is a generally easy project but it can be difficult to find the right dimensions for the studs to seat right. I took each tire in 3 different times for test studs before drilling all of the holes. My shop also used some kind of lubricant to help seat the studs that reduced the amount of knobs that had cracks around the edges of the holes. Using glue is not necessary.

Pattern

I decided to stud about half of the knobs on my front tire to make it perform better on dry/wet pavement. I haven’t noticed any problems with this setup but my minimum braking distance still increased about 30 percent from the original Bridgestone Trailwings. I studded every knob on the rear tire except for the outside edges. I figured if I ever got that far over on snow I was going down anyway and I might as well have the extra traction for emergency manoeuvres on dry/wet pavement. So far the outside knobs still look new.

Drilling

The diameter of the stud is just under 3/16”. I used a 3/16” all-purpose drill bit with a locking collar for the front tire and I wrapped the bit in duct tape for the rear tire after losing the set screw for the collar. I preferred the duct tape, but it’s harder to set up. When drilling the front tire, the collar slipped once and the bit went straight through the tire. I repaired the hole with a string patch and trimmed it flush with a knife on both sides. If you drill a hole completely through the tire, do not try to stud it. It could rip the casing and ruin your tire.

I found that the perfect depth was exactly the length of the stud- from base to tip. This may differ from tire to tire but it’s a good place to start. The rear tire was a harder compound than the front and required a little more time per hole and I had to stop the drill and roll the bit around to loosen up the rubber. To date I still have every stud; none have fallen out. The only way to remove a stud once it’s in your tire is with a good pair of pliers. I decided that it’s better to drill a little deeper and then do a couple hundred miles of pavement to seat all of the studs and wear the rubber down to the proper depth- just poking the tip out of the rubber.

Performance

These tire have worked out much better than I’d hoped. The handling is definitely different due to the shape of the new tires and the studs track badly in rain grooves, but I can straight-line accelerate in the snow nearly as fast as I can on dry pavement in snow up to 2" deep. I have ridden in snow up to 10” deep with no problems at all. I actually prefer deeper snow to well-traveled snow. Traction is still shaky on compact snow but on ice, fresh snow, slush, and bare pavement the tires have performed beautifully.

Opinions on studding tires

Q: Has anyone ever inserted small sheet metal screws; say #6 by 3/8 inches to the tires for increased traction in ice and hard packed snow? Years back, I took long screws and inserted them from the inside and used an old YAMAKAWASUKI on the frozen lake. I was a lot of fun! This does not work for street use because of tube punctures. One would need carbide headed screws so they won't wear out so fast on the payment. Not sure where to source those or it they even exist. I checked out some snowmobile track studs but they are too long. Any other die hard (fools) out there? Gonna get rusty if I don't ride... (Steve#1059 in MA)

A: While ice racing screws give excellent traction on ice, they destroy traction on concrete and asphalt. Pick your poison. This time of year there are always ads for them in the back of Motorcycle News, the weekly newspaper. You could probably Google for them successfully with "motorcycle ice racing screws." (Flash #412)

A: Studded tires are illegal in Illinois. Too many boy racers were "tearing up the streets" with them. (Marty #436)

A: I've put street-legal studded tires on my Dakar for the winter. These are, originally Swedish made, Trelleborg "T-644 Army Special". They were developed as an all-year tire for the Swedish Army, which makes extensive use of motorcycles. Their advantage is that they are made with a winter rubber compund which retains its softness in sub-zero conditions. They are studded by a company in Oslo, Norway. Another alternative, for pure off-road, non street-legal fun is the Trelleborg "T-454 Winter Friction". This is a factory-studded competition tire. You can also have a set of knobbies studded by any local tire shop with the appropriate tools, or buy your own tools and do it yourself. If you're considering having a set of studded knobbies, be aware that a tire such as the TKC-80 is TOTALLY useless in the snow. The big knobs are unable to sink into and grip the snow. For snow use you'll want a street-legal motocross tire with smaller and fewer knobs that will dig in and give you a good grip. Also, studs for MC street use are generally smaller than car studs. You may also want to limit the number of studs in the center of the tire. This goes especially for the front tire. Studs give poor friction on bare asphalt when braking. By leaving the center free of studs, you'll still have fairly good braking on asphalt, while the studs on the side will grip into the ice and snow when the tire compresses under braking and will also give you grip where you need it for turning. (Oyvind #1052)

A: Trelleborg is a Swedish-based global supplier of industrial rubber products. They sold their motorcycle tires division, including rights to the brand name, to an East European company some years ago. There are no web sites available for the tires, AFAIK, but Trelleborg has several sales offices around the US which may be able to get hold of these tires. Go to http://www.trelleborg.com (Oyvind #1052)

Photos:

Link naar reactie
  • 4 weken later...

Deze vrijdag (21/12/07) de koppen nog eens bij elkaar steken op de kroegenavond van VCA in de Zurenborger te Berchem? Dan kunnen we onze plannen wat concreter maken en onze voorbereidingen van de trip en dergelijke meer bespreken.

De tijd begint te korten want we hebben nog maar 2,5 maand te gaan en dan is het zover!

Dus: See you all @ zurenborger voor een "frisse" pint en verdere uitwerking van de planning?

Ciao ;-)

Link naar reactie
  • 2 weken later...

Het is nen aanrader DAAR OP DE CAMPING heb al ne keer of 5 meegeemaakt met men ouwe bmw zijspan en zekers as er sneeuw is hede grove banden nodig anders hede niks nodig van speciale banden

22 euro inkom voor 3 dagen as ge wilt en heel goei feestjes vooral snachts en overdag sos piet met soep met gluwijn en wafelen bak opt vuur met zon ouw wafelijzer met jagermeister van den aldi en ne goeie jiont zon nen heele dag bij het kampvuur goe zat en ?? tussen zon paar duizend motos en vepsas

ge moet wel zelf oe hout meenemen as ge kunt wat daz pure afzetterij en zo nat as iets as ge het daar koopt

het enigste dat ge moet hebbe is ne goeie slaapzak daz wel nodig

groeten voeze

Link naar reactie

I'm going. En een vriend van mij ook.

Ik dacht van eens een lijstje te maken van de benodigdheden.

Kledij:

-Goeie sokken, best 2 paar

-thermisch ondergoed (weet er iemand waar goeie aan te schaffen?)

-fleeces

-motorpak

-Integraalhelm

Kampeermateriaal

- Goede tent

- Goede slaapzak

- Luchtmatras

- Plastic om onder de tent te leggen

- Verlichting,

- Gasbrander, gamellen

- Aanmaakblokjes (kampvuur)...

Vespa

- Crossbanden of goeie winterbanden? Frank?

- Kabels

- Bougie

- Bedon

- Lamkes

- Materiaal

Ik ben nog vanalles vergeten, maar please vul aan!

Cheers B.

Link naar reactie

@B-man

als je op gas gaat koken, let er dan wel op dat je de juiste vullingen meeneemt:

"Omdat Butaan en Propaan verschillende proporties hebben. U kunt geen Butaan gebruiken onder de -5°C; het gas komt simpelweg niet uit de brander bij deze temperatuur. Propaan mixen stellen u in staat om u apparatuur te gebruiken in lage temperaturen. Met 20% Propaan en 80% Butaan, kunt u een product gebruiken tot -20°C. Met 30% Propaan en 70% Butaan, kunt u een product gebruiken tot -25°C.

Isobutaan kan gebruikt worden tot -10°C"

Bron Campingaz.com

Ik neem een trangia setje mee met alcohol-brandertje.

En een luchtmatras lijkt me ook niet zo isolerend... ik ga voor een goeie therm-a-rest.

Tot dan

Link naar reactie
  • 2 weken later...

Hallo mannen!

Ik stel voor dat op de kroegavond van 15 februari een speciale afdeling "Elefanten" te maken, om met z'n iedereen rond een tafel te zetten en alles indetails af te spreken. De 2 auto bestuurders zijn ook uitgenodigd.

En... how is the final count of participants?

Ik weet nog een paar hebben opgegeven.

The BRAVES are still:

Max

Erix

B-Man

Gette (als het niet regent...sissy!)

Frank?

Link naar reactie
Hallo mannen!

Ik stel voor dat op de kroegavond van 15 februari een speciale afdeling "Elefanten" te maken, om met z'n iedereen rond een tafel te zetten en alles indetails af te spreken. De 2 auto bestuurders zijn ook uitgenodigd.

En... how is the final count of participants?

Ik weet nog een paar hebben opgegeven.

The BRAVES are still:

Max

Erix

B-Man

Gette (als het niet regent...sissy!)

Frank?

@ Max:

Ik zal er zeker zijn de 15de!!!

Ik dacht dat er ook een paar mensen zouden meegaan van Gent (o.a. Speedracer???)

Link naar reactie

Ben eens aan 't rondzien voor banden en kwam bij deze van HEIDENAU K58

Deze kost om en bij de 50 euro en is snowtex (80201000)

00000348_003.jpg

Maar deze stond bij de alternatieven, zelfde merk zelfde type, er staat alleen geen snowtex bij en kost maar 35 euro

00000517_003.jpg

Ziet er iemand een verschil buiten de prijs?

Link naar reactie

Het verschil zal hem in de rubber zitten,winterbanden zijn meestal zachter waardoor deze meer grip houden op koudere oppervlakte.( allee da zou toch de bedoeling moeten zijn)Vandaar waarschijnlijk het prijsverschil.

B.t.w : in Duitsland is tijdens de wintermaanden verplicht om op zulke banden te rijden.

Link naar reactie
  • 2 weken later...
was dit nu eigenlijk een winter? of is het al een eerste lentetreffen?

Komt er iemand van deze stoere binken vrijdag iets drinken in lier?

@Erix

Gaat er nu nog volk mee vanuit het gentse?

Waarom naar Lier gaan (toch veel te ver volgens Larscobbaut) als je de week erop in Antwerpen kan samenkomen waar het veel gezelliger is (en dichterbij volgens Larscobbaut)

Weet ik veel! Vraag het eens aan de mannen van Gent hé. Of is Gent te ver om eens naar hun kroegenavond te gaan (Larscobbaut zal hier wel ja zeggen zeker). ;-)

Link naar reactie
tent, winterslaapzak, spike-banden, warme kledij (fleece) en vooral veel vodka anders gaan we dat daar niet overleven vrees ik. Ik zal eens een lijstje opstellen wat we nodig hebben voor het winterkamperen en hier posten.

P.S. Er staat een heel leuke cartoon over het elefantentreffen op de website van the speedboys (onder kalender). http://www.speedboys.be/

http://www.alteselefantentreffen.de/index.html

Misschien toch je bikini en zonnebrandolie niet vergeten (lol). Groetjes, nero.

Link naar reactie

Gearchiveerd

Dit topic is nu gearchiveerd en gesloten voor verdere reacties.

• Nieuwe aanmaken...